Monday, December 6, 2010

Big Shoes to Fill

Due to the fact that I have repeatedly mentioned that I suck at blogging, I am not going to play catch up. Although there is one thing that has occurred in the last 6 months that I feel is worthy of backtracking for. On November 21, at 10:10pm I received the news that my grandfather, Lloyd Jensen Dunn, had passed. I was surprisingly not phased by this. I was more sad for my grandmother and that I wasn't going to be able to go to the funeral. Don't get me wrong I love my grandpa and I was a little confused as to why I wasn't mourning. Although I was plenty emotional about everything else (turns out I suck at mourning too.) We ended up being able to get down to Cali for the funeral and it was such a neat experience. And I realized why I wasn't mourning in the traditional way. My grandfather was truly an amazing man married to an amazing woman. I am so glad that I was able to spend this summer with him and that he was able to meet my baby. When I was a child I used to get sad at the thought that my grandparents probably wouldn't be at my wedding and that I would probably never have the opportunity to take my kids to their house to have as much fun as I did when I was young. But I have been blessed enough to have found the most wonderful man in world, be sealed to him and have my beautiful daughter before my grandfather's time came. My grandparents came to Addy's baby blessing and Scott and I drove them home. My grandfather was not in the best of moods and when Addison started crying in the car I didn't see how it could get worse. I got her a bottle and was about out it in her mouth when my Grandpa took the bottle from me, all stern faced, and gave it to Adds and then started making smiley faces at her. And I thought then, this is something I will never forget, the amazing love that my Grandpa possessed. And that is why every emotion but sadness came to me, all of my memories of my Grandfather are laced with love and embellished in joy. When I think about all of the memories that I have of my Grandparents and how I wish my kids could experience the joy I had with them, I start thinking of my parents and Scott's parents and how happy I am that they get to be my children's Grandma and Grandpa Dunn. And I know that they will be great at it. Grandpa I miss you, I respect you, I love you, Thank you for everything.







1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Chelsea. So sweet! And I love the story about Grandpa and the baby bottle. i'm glad you have that memory with him! And it's something you'll be able to share with Addy. She is getting so so big...and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete